Wellness visits are essential throughout your child’s early development. They help track their growth, weight gain, and developmental milestones. However, making them can be inconvenient and stressful for parents and children. There are often schedules to plan around, commutes to make, and long waiting times at the office. Paragon Pediatrics is located in Charleston, SC, to alleviate these concerns with wellness checks at our central location on Savannah Hwy with essentially no wait times.
What To Expect During A Wellness Visit
. The specifics of each visit will change as your child grows, but include checking their health and developmental milestones. Some aspects that your provider will check during your visits include the following:
- Head – Children are born with soft skulls to aid in navigating the birth canal safely. Over the first 18 months, the soft spots will gradually harden.
- Ears – Ear health is checked with the use of an otoscope, as well as tests to see how your child responds to sound.
- Eyes – Children gradually learn to track things with their eyes as they develop. Their ability to do so will be tested, and an ophthalmoscope will be used to check for concerns and ensure good ocular health.
- Mouth – Your child’s mouth will be checked for oral health concerns and signs of teething.
- Heart – Any existing concerns, including murmurs and abnormal heart rhythms, will be checked in addition to normal function.
- Abdomens – This area will be checked for tenderness, enlarged organs, unusual masses, or other indicators of possible health concerns.
- Genitalia – Any signs of unusual development, the progress of healing from circumcision, tenderness, and lumps will be checked. Boys approaching the age of 9 months will be checked for proper testes descension.
Each of these aspects will be checked during your concierge visit. In addition, your provider will check for developmental issues in the hips and legs, lung health, and skin conditions. You will also have an opportunity for them to check for concerns you’ve noticed and to have any questions answered. In addition, be prepared to answer the following questions about your baby’s development:
- Do they smile and coo?
- Do they show interest in objects and attempt to reach for them?
- Do they demonstrate attempts to imitate your sounds or speech?
- Are they making efforts to roll over?
- Can they sit with support?
- Are they attempting to stand by pulling themselves up on objects?
- Do they respond to sounds by turning towards them?
These are common indicators of healthy, normal development. However, not all children reach all developmental milestones at the same time. Your provider will let you know if there is any cause for concern.
Schedule Your Wellness Visit With Paragon Pediatrics Today
Adjusting to the inevitable changes that a new child brings is challenging enough. Paragon Pediatrics is here to make getting the care your new baby needs less stressful. Call today if you’re a current patient of Paragon Pediatrics or are looking to try concierge services for the first time.
With Paragon Pediatrics, you’ll be receiving personalized care built on one-on-one relationships with your provider. There are no waiting times at your appointments, and you can reach out to them any time of night or day via video chat, text, email, or phone. If it’s your first visit, we will take the time to learn about your family and address all your concerns. Together you’ll work out a visit at a time that comfortably fits your schedule.